|My favorite sign is back.
With the dreaded opening week finished, it felt good to come into the office today and be able to start focusing on improvements and tweaks rather than the mad rush to get ready for opening night and the dreaded first “three feed” on Saturday.
Overall things went very well, much better than I expected. I heard some of the horror stories of other recent arena openings and to be honest I think we had one of the smoothest openings in recent history.
However, that feeling did nothing to improve my mood Saturday night. It took everything within my power to not post a rant post, because to be honest this building has got the better of me recently. It’s an advanced and powerful facility, and with that comes a big amount of configuration, unexpected and undocumented “features”, and headaches. As I stood in the parking lot where the TV trucks were after the puck dropped, i just wanted to scream at the top of my lungs, “Can’t anything in this frickin building be easy?!”
At any rate, a good night’s sleep and extended nap on Sunday restored me. Onward and upward.
Couple things off Twitter the past few days, and some not.
|The only thing bigger than DJ PO’s
backstage monitor is his stardom.
- Yep, we noticed the bottom end mud in the sound system at the game. Met with my sound engineer today (the famous Brian Duffy) and had a long discussion on type of music played vs. sound pressure levels. He already had his own thoughts and was taking out a little bottom end and making some adjustments to the mid ranges for Wednesday
- Don’t ask me to comment on the laser sound effects, the music , Ryan Mill, or the amount of sponsorship. Not my department, and frankly I put myself and this blog/twitter account if I cross that line and join in on a bash of the team. I’m sure your employers would probably feel the same. That being said, some of it was sidesplitting, regardless if I agree or disagree.
- Away from the negative stuff, I want to give a shout out to the game presentation crew that made some absolutely beautiful video and graphics for the first few games. While we were sleeping, they were plugging away with several sleepless nights trying to get everything up and running. Some of the stuff was just stunning, and really makes me feel glad that we now have a scoreboard that can show their art off a little better.
- Cell phone service sucks out loud, yep. We are installing a distributed antennae system which will boost all major carriers. Give it a few weeks, I think they started installing it this week.
- Wifi is underutilized at this point. If you are having trouble with @yinzcam, send them a tweet.
- Dasher cam is getting better. Hoping to try it at center ice position on Wednesday. Overhead cam got a lot of use from CBC, FSN, and RDS on Saturday. Second dasher cam in time for Friday I hope so we can have both running.
- I walk around this building for miles every day and still have missed some of the nuances. On the suite level PNC has these “Legends” displays around level 4. I always noticed one of the Stanley Cup win that had a blackberry in it, but never looked close to see what was on it. To quote the Pensblog jobbers, “buries it”.
- Anyone catch the outside the locker room shots before the team took the ice. Perfect example of how this facility was designed to give you guys better looks. Thought it was such a cool shot to see compared to Mellon where we had to cross our fingers and hope to get lucky.
- Note to self: When you get an email from the IT Director saying “we have to reset the switches”, be damn sure that you pass the message along to everyone. I was half asleep when I read the message last Friday, didn’t let the ramifications sink in, and didn’t warn any of my guys. My mistake took down 25 percent of the TV’s and most of our Dalet stuff that they had worked so hard on the week before to get right.
- @emptynetters Seth has had spectacular WIFI the last few games
- Word off the street is that FSN Pittsburgh will have the “Super Slo Mo” camera in action all season. Can’t wait to steal it on an off day.
I’ve already posted more in October than I did in each of September and August. Hope it’s a good trend.